Achieve Center, Inc. in Wausau, WI

Neuropsychological, developmental and learning services for children, adults, and their families

Call Today!

Support Us When You Shop for Holiday Gifts at smile.amazon.com! Your purchase will generate a donation for Achieve Center from Amazon! Gift Guide

The Achieve Center offers hope.

Be a believer Be a person of action

Help the Achieve Center

Make a $10 contribution


 

Tuesday 7 May 2019

KIDS SWALLOWING BATTERIES

Posted at 7:57 AM

KIDS SWALLOWING BATTERIES

WARNING!!!

In a study, conducted by Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus Ohio, it was found that there has been a surge in children’s visits to emergency rooms due to swallowing small objects with an annual rate increase of 92% from 1995 – present. Researchers found that the increase appears to be the result of the proliferation of devices running on button batteries. During that time period, hospitalizations due to battery ingestion increased by 150 %. Button batteries are particularly dangerous if swallowed because they can trigger chemical reactions that can cause potentially fatal internal burns. It is very important that safe storage of these batteries is practiced as well as safe disposal, such as not placing used batteries in an open waste basket.