KIDS SWALLOWING BATTERIES
In a study, conducted by Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus Ohio, it was found that there has been a surge in children’s visits to emergency rooms due to swallowing small objects with an annual rate increase of 92% from 1995 – present. Researchers found that the increase appears to be the result of the proliferation of devices running on button batteries. During that time period, hospitalizations due to battery ingestion increased by 150 %. Button batteries are particularly dangerous if swallowed because they can trigger chemical reactions that can cause potentially fatal internal burns. It is very important that safe storage of these batteries is practiced as well as safe disposal, such as not placing used batteries in an open waste basket.
The Achieve Center blog is written by the professionals who are focused on children's mental health.